Friday, November 23, 2007

I'm dreaming of a White... Thanksgiving??


Jarrod and I had the opportunity to fly to Maine for my thanksgiving break. This was Jarrod's first time meeting my family up there - so we were both excited for this trip! Unfortunately, I had to bring some school work with me that took up a bit of my time - but my little brother, Jeremy, was thankful to get Jarrod's undivided attention to play games that boys like to play... he thinks Jarrod is a great playmate. :) I think so, too.


We had many game nights, toured a bit of Northern Maine, helped out with some household projects, played in the snow (yes, it snowed 3 times while we were there!) and ate yummy Korean and Honduran food (my mom was practicing for our upcoming rehearsal dinner which she has graciously agreed to prepare for us). Jarrod spoke in my family's church about his various mission experiences, encouraging that body of believers that the Word is going forth in the world and that they can play a significant role in it.


Thanksgiving was a little different from other years as my mom signed up our family to help serve the Thanksgiving meal at the VFW. With the snow on the ground, many people could not make it to the actual building for their thanksgiving dinner - so we sent out hundreds of boxed meals to be delivered to the homes. We then had the opportunity to serve the many elderly people who did come for their noon meal. It was such a pleasure to go to each individual and ask how we could serve them, to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving, and to listen to their stories. I think that the entire family came home with a light heart and renewed sense that we have so much to be thankful for as we sat down to our own Thanksgiving meal. I am glad that for this Thanksgiving, the focus wasn't on how much we could eat of our favorite foods. We live in a society where too often our focus and priority is ourself. How easy it is to get swept away in what we can get instead of thinking about how we can give.

The Bible teaches us that even Jesus, being in very nature God, was a servant (Mark 10:45, Phil 2) and humbled himself to serve US when we did not deserve it. And so it is my challenge and prayer to take this lesson and apply it to all areas of life - as I seek to be conformed to His image. It is easy to serve someone who does something nice for you, but what about the person who you don't know... what about the person who annoys you... what about those you do not call friend?

On this white Thanksgiving, I have been reminded of a powerful lesson that the Lord teaches us - and know that even though I have failed at have a servant's heart in the past, He forgives us and makes us white as snow to try again.
And I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. ~Phil 1:6
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: