Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

We LOVE playgroup crafts!
Tomorrow we are reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar at playgroup and found LOTS of fun craft ideas on Pinterest to try out.  I opted to try two of them - both with paint, but one using your toddler's hands, and the other your toddler's feet.  

Marc and I tried out the hand craft first - creating a caterpillar out of Marc's hands.  He had a lot fun painting his hand and stamping the page - but this was very mom-intensive to keep it from getting too messy.. perhaps I wouldn't have been too worried about the paint if I put down newspapers or something to protect the floor.
We thought this caterpillar was SUPER cute.. even though Marc got over-zealous with the hand stamping and created a hump-back caterpillar.  Oh well, we still love it!
Verdict: This craft is possible to replicate at playgroup - but will need some serious guidance from adults. It is quick and a fun way to remember the story.

The Caterpillar Foot craft was a little more involved..
Marc laughed as I tickled his tows with the paint brush - and didn't quite understand what was going on when we placed his toes on the paper (there was a lot of paint, so we made several caterpillars). I definitely could have explained what we were doing better to him!  Marc really enjoyed this- and wanted to do it to his baby sister, Emmalyn, as well.. :) She definitely had no clue what was going on!
While we waited for the toe caterpillars to dry, Marc and I had fun painting leaves and fruit for the caterpillars to eat. 
Then I helped him paint the faces and feet on the caterpillars...
...and we continued to paint while we let it all dry.
Then I let him practice cutting while I cut out the caterpillars, fruit and leaves - pulled out the hole punch and then put it all together on another piece of paper.
Verdict: This craft was way too involved for a toddler - so finding a simpler way to reproduce it at playgroup will be necessary.  Having paper with fruit or leaves already on it to let the kids color and then using paint or a stamp to put the toes on and draw the face and feet would make it do-able.  
Looking forward to sharing this one tomorrow!

No comments: