Sunday, April 20, 2014

This is the day.

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!   

This is a song we sing around our house at times.. and with recent events, the words to the song hold so much meaning.  I have been watching the news to get updates on the situation with the missing plane MH370 and then the capsized ferry Sewol.  I am heartsick with these events, perhaps because they were unexpected tragedies - people traveling some where and trusting those who were taking them to get them to their destination safely.  I travel a lot and fly internationally.  This past weekend we went on a trip with high school kids... not on a boat, but still.. it could have been me.  

I have been watching the news - and when they announced the plane and the ferry, I thought "oh wow, that is terrible..." but assumed they would FIND it or that they would RESCUE the missing people.   I have become desensitized to the news and to tragedy... or perhaps in our day and age don't really think there is any risk involved in.. well, much of anything.  And then days went on.. and nothing changed... and I started to realize that they may not get rescued.  I am ashamed to say that it was not my first reaction to pray for the situation and the people on the boat.  As the missing people did not get rescued, I  was hit with the reality of the situation: a real life "Titanic" story that was happening as I was walking around unaffected.  And I started praying... especially that God would be supernaturally near any one trapped, cold, scared, and facing their last moments alive inside the boat.   Now, it is unlikely any one is still alive.. and so I am praying for comfort for families, friends, and classmates of those who lost their loved ones so unexpectedly.   When we take trips with high school students - or send them off on a trip - the last thing on our minds is that they might not come back.  But we are not invincible and accidents do happen.

As I hold my babies today and see them so full of life, I can not help but think of the parents who sent their kids on that school trip to Jeju.  As I thank God for my kids'  lives - I am stuck anew that tomorrow is not a guarantee. 
Today is Easter Sunday, and we have the Good News of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.  This world is not the end of our story!  For God so loved the world that He gave His only son to come and pay the price for our sins that whosoever confesses with their mouth and believes in their heart that Jesus is Lord - they shall not perish but have everlasting life with God in Heaven.  Do you believe this? Have you made Jesus your Lord and Savior?  If not, I encourage you to really seek the Lord. We may not have tomorrow.. this is the day we have, let's not waste it.

No comments: