Saturday, April 25, 2009

Seven Bends

You are looking at the famous "seven bends" of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River that is located in Woodstock, Virginia. Ever since we moved back to the Shenandoah Valley, I have kept it in the back of my mind that on a really clear, warm day - I would pick Jarrod up from school and take him to the Woodstock Tower to see the incredible view. (Apparently, Jarrod was thinking of taking me up there as well - though he had not been there before.) Yesterday was such a day - and I was going up to the school for the CCS Spring Concert anyway - so it was a perfect time to snatch Jarrod away for a quick drive up the mountain to the tower to look out at our beautiful Virginia, and more specifically - the seven bends.

Now, as I was thinking about writing this update, I wanted some more official information about the Woodstock tower... I do not know the validity of this info - but is sounded right to me ;)
First, let's describe the harrowing trip up to the tower from the website linked above:
"Please note that Woodstock Tower Road is a very windy road with sharp turns and steep grades. For this reason it does close from time to time due to weather conditions. As you ride up the steep twisty mountain path lined with rocky crags and rushing water, it is easy to understand why motor homes and RVs are not permitted. After approximately 2 miles, the road turns to two-track gravel. Continue for another 2 miles to the top of the mountain to the Woodstock Tower sign. At this point the elevation is approximately 2000 ft. Park in the small lot and proceed to the footpath. The last part of your journey can only be made on foot. The hike is fairly short (.15 of a mile) but the path is a bit rocky so watch your step."Jarrod and I were a little unsure of where we were going - as it had been AT LEAST 9 years since I was last at the tower, for my one and only past visit.. So thankfully there was this old rock sign that indicated we were at the right place. I parked the car, and we began the walk to the tower... that I had also forgotten about... or I would have worn different shoes. :)
"The Woodstock Tower is an old fire observation tower that is now open to the public. If you have a fear of heights*, the tower may look a bit daunting but rest assured it is sturdy and well maintained just don't look down as you climb the 3 flights of stairs to your perch "on top of the world". Once you make it to the top and begin to look around, you will realize that it has been worth the trip. From the tower you have a spectacular panoramic view of Northern Virginia. To the west you can see the Seven Bends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River and the town of Woodstock. Further out you can see the Appalachian Mountains. To the east you see Fort Valley and Massanutten Mountain, as well as the Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance. If you are lucky, you will see hang gliders lifting off from the platform located just below the tower."

*Now, lets talk about this fear of heights, because it is serious! Jarrod has known somewhere in the back of his mind that I am afraid of heights.. but I hide it pretty well... going up the Seoul Tower (made of concrete!) or the kissing tower at Hershey Park (again... concrete), going on roller coasters, jumping off of rocks from high places into water (um..peer pressure?), etc. This was the first time he really got to see my "fear" in action. Oh, the things I do for my husband taking him to a place that I know HE will like.. but I will be completely uncomfortable!... Let's just say my memory did not serve me well.. I did NOT remember it being THAT high! ;) Needless to say, after climbing the stairs (and NOT looking down!) I would not move from the center of the tower to the edge - and am not ashamed to admit that I'm not nearly as brave as my husband. :) So - Jarrod was limited in taking our picture together on my little cell phone... this is all we got. :) Notice I am clinging to him for dear life!... at least I am smiling.
Ok. I am exaggerating a bit. but just a very little bit. ;)
It was really beautiful - an amazing view of the valley, the seven bends of the river, and beautiful farm land. There were also several of paths to hike - and so Jarrod and I have plans to return - when we have more time and proper attire - to enjoy the beauty that our State has to offer.

2 comments:

La Familia Garcia said...

No kids yet and look at the fun adventures you guys get to do as a couple! While we are looking forward family and mommy dates, glad that you are enjoying this time as a couple!!

Unknown said...

I am right there with you on the fear thing sister! I would love to have a couples hike or something sometime with you to show Peter the same beautiful view.... The boys can enjoy the hight while we sit back and look from the middle! I love you sis and look forward to seeing you soon!