The first night there, it became quite apparent why a nurse was needed on this trip - as the students ran full force through the woods, rocks and gravel to play many intense games of capture the flag after dark. There was a line for how many scrapes I had to clean and bandage up, but no worries - only one guy had to leave with cracked ribs! Fun abounded - with camp fires, Chubby Bunny, S'mores, a plethora of snacks, volleyball "killer", and more. These kids did not want to take the opportunity to catch up on much needed sleep (and the staff members were all feeling it! :)

On Saturday, the students set out to hike to the top of the mountain -which is actually pretty steep in some parts- and gives an incredible view from the top. Unfortunately, I had to stay behind with 2 students (yes, the one with cracked ribs - and another that was sick and going home that afternoon as well)... but was glad to give the camera to another staff member and get some incredible pictures. I am definitely inspired to make that hike next year! :)In addition to relaxing and having fun with the students - this time was set aside to talk with them about the future and the steps they will be taking this year that will affect so much of the rest of their life. We had small group sessions and devotionals where we were real and honest and blunt with the seniors - and it was a special time to interact with a smaller group on a deep level. I am privileged to have shared the stories of these incredible kids, that have traveled and seen and faced so much of this world - some living without their families, some living with families that are not involved in their lives, some with extreme pressure to do well and go to a good university, some who do not feel like they are good at anything... all desiring to know and be known. What a privilege to point them towards the Lord.
Coming back to school - I was exhausted (I can count the amount of sleep I got the entire retreat on my hands)... but so glad that I went. Now, as I pass the Seniors in the hallway, I know so many of their names and smile at the shared memories we have.As I left the retreat, my prayer for this class as I look toward this special year of life is from Romans 15:5-7, "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
No comments:
Post a Comment