
The Middle School was able to have their SEW at the end of January. It was a special time. On the second to last day, the speaker did an activity to get the students thinking about their relationship with God. He put up four different chairs at the front of the auditorium and explained what each chair represented spiritually. Then he invited the students to come up and touch one of the chairs.
The first chair symbolized hearing the Gospel but having lots of questions about it.
The second chair symbolized hearing the Gospel but believing you are just fine without it.
The third chair symbolized hearing the Gospel and wanting to receive Christ as Savior of your life.
The fourth chair symbolized already being a Christian but wanting to step out with a stronger commitment.
I was glad to see SO many kids come up- many huddling in front of the 3rd and 4th chairs; others still having questions, but desiring to understand who God is and what He has done for them. During this time, there were tears, testimonies, hugs, and prayers shared.
That weekend, I gave an assignment to my 8th grade Bible classes to write a summary of where they are spiritually. As I checked their homework, I was again encouraged by the open hearts of my students. I definitely see desire in my students to please God and learn more about Him. A few of my students committed their life to following Christ during this week! One girl in particular comes from a Buddhist family- and this week God convicted her heart and she responded to Him!
One thing I want to mention is about seeing the body of Christ working together. In Bible class, we talk about what it means to have a humble heart before God; we look at Bible stories and talk about their significance. Then, during SEW, I got to see a Christian man come and lead the students in thinking more deeply about their own heart before God. This, accompanied by the prayers that were lifted up from many others, all worked to make this a significant week at our school. The students also have opportunity to grow in discipleship groups led by other Christian mentors. The body of Christ definitely works together.
I thank the Lord for special times like these during the year where we, as teachers, get a glimpse in to the heart of our students. I know God is working in the hearts of students all over the world. I've seen His working here in Korea.. here at our school. I'm excited to be a part of it and to see what more He has in store!
The first chair symbolized hearing the Gospel but having lots of questions about it.
The second chair symbolized hearing the Gospel but believing you are just fine without it.
The third chair symbolized hearing the Gospel and wanting to receive Christ as Savior of your life.
The fourth chair symbolized already being a Christian but wanting to step out with a stronger commitment.
I was glad to see SO many kids come up- many huddling in front of the 3rd and 4th chairs; others still having questions, but desiring to understand who God is and what He has done for them. During this time, there were tears, testimonies, hugs, and prayers shared.
That weekend, I gave an assignment to my 8th grade Bible classes to write a summary of where they are spiritually. As I checked their homework, I was again encouraged by the open hearts of my students. I definitely see desire in my students to please God and learn more about Him. A few of my students committed their life to following Christ during this week! One girl in particular comes from a Buddhist family- and this week God convicted her heart and she responded to Him!
One thing I want to mention is about seeing the body of Christ working together. In Bible class, we talk about what it means to have a humble heart before God; we look at Bible stories and talk about their significance. Then, during SEW, I got to see a Christian man come and lead the students in thinking more deeply about their own heart before God. This, accompanied by the prayers that were lifted up from many others, all worked to make this a significant week at our school. The students also have opportunity to grow in discipleship groups led by other Christian mentors. The body of Christ definitely works together.
I thank the Lord for special times like these during the year where we, as teachers, get a glimpse in to the heart of our students. I know God is working in the hearts of students all over the world. I've seen His working here in Korea.. here at our school. I'm excited to be a part of it and to see what more He has in store!
"so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others" Romans 12:5
2 comments:
It's great to see that you guys are part of making a difference that will be eternal! Sometimes God lets us see a glimps of what that looks like, just to encourage our own eternal perspective! Thanks for taking time out to write this update!
I've heard rumors of a trip to the hospital today; our prayers are with you. Thanks for sharing the kind notes about Allison and I on your blog! We look forward to seeing you and little Puffenbarger this summer!
Post a Comment