This year for Easter (April 8..) I had my first attempt at making Easter baskets for the kiddos. It was really inspired by Brooke, and all the goodies she brought us herself, from Joe and Teresa, and from Denise and Peter that we could put in the baskets...
...well, basket. Marc's basket was loaded with new fun toys and treats.. Emma got hand-me-down books and keys that were her brother's.. washed and "like new". She didn't know the difference. ;) The soft bunny was new to Emma though..
Can I just say, I loved doing Easter baskets. Almost more than Marc. Ok, maybe more. Don't get me wrong, Marc was delighted to come out of his room and find these goodies waiting for him (he didn't even ask to EAT - which is normally top priority when he wakes up). He gratified his Momma while appropriate"ooohs" and "ahhhs", taking his time to explore each item. It was an unexpected surprise for Marc and he loved it.
SO why, you ask, did I enjoy it MORE THAN THAT? While I wasn't getting any new presents or tasty treats (okay, okay, I MAY or MAY NOT have eaten the M&Ms in Marc's basket. He'll never know ;) I really enjoyed making these baskets because:
1) I get to pass along a tradition from my childhood that I really enjoyed as we celebrate Christ's resurrection
2) I was delighted to see my son so delighted
3) It was my FIRST time. And firsts are significant. Not just my first time making an Easter basket - but (...along with this past Christmas) my first time making a holiday special for my child(ren). I foresee many special holidays, and many Easter baskets in our future - but THIS year is extra special because it holds all of the firsts when Marc can see and enjoy the out-of-the-ordinary celebrations of life, liberty, and Christ. (Birthday, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Christmas, Easter..) This year of firsts seems to complete my inauguration into motherhood. Extreme? Maybe. But it is definitely one of the enjoyable parts of this new "job" I have that I had yet to experience. So just go with it.
And, because we are talking about firsts and Easter, this was the first year we dyed Easter eggs (at playgroup). Marc was *sort-of* into it. Maybe next year Mom will remember to bring the apron and let Marc really dig in the dyes.
Don't be fooled by his stoic expression. He really liked choosing the eyes and mouths and then using his expert sticker skills to put the faces on the eggs.
So this Easter was an extra-special one for us as we remembered Christ's death and celebrated His resurrection. May every year be filled with newness and awe at this life-giving truth!



2 comments:
So I'm just now catching up! and getting my fix on your children! Oh how it makes me miss them! I love the baskets!! You did such a great job, reusing some gifts is always a great idea!
I so know what you mean about it being exciting, it only gets better as each of your children get to experience the newness, and you get to see the holiday through their little eyes! Each child sees things differently and brings their own perspective!
Emma looks quite excited about her basket!
Post a Comment