Monday, September 24, 2012

Potty Training: Success!

I had all of these ideas about what I would write about potty training back in August... but September is almost over... and Marc has now been potty trained for several weeks (despite rare accidents) - so it doesn't look like it will happen. Still, I feel like I need to at least say something to honor the sweet boy in this huge milestone.
We started potty training about a month ago - shortly after returning to Korea and allowing for time to get adjusted to the time change.  After a few days of "parent-training" and reading a copy of this ebook (in conjunction with Marc getting Hand, Foot and Mouth disease that quarantined us inside for a week) he caught on really quickly and there was no going back!

Highlights:

  • I discovered that the best way to motivate my son is PRAISE.  If I want him to do anything -- praise him non-stop.  It worked so well for potty-training that I am going to need to try it to get Marc to feed himself - he always wants help!  The praise sounded something like this: "yeah, Marc you are dry.. I'm so proud of you! Remember to tell Mommy when you need to go potty"... 5 minutes later, "Emma, Marc's underwear is still dry! Isn't that wonderful?".... on the potty "yeah! good job! You did it!  Emma, Marc did it!" etc... exaggerate that by.. a lot.. and you get the picture of just how much praise was involved.  Similarly, he does not react well to disappointment, anger, or frustration. 
  • As with all things Marc, the same day we introduced underwear - we had to "cement the bond" - no going back to diapers during the day.. it would confuse him and draw out the process even longer if we did. So - goodbye diapers! 
  • Marc thoroughly enjoys deciding which Toy Story or Elmo underwear will be worn that day. Some days the decision is much easier than others. Why? I'll never know...
  • The boy became a nudist! He used to stress out about having a shirt and pants on at all times, but now he LOVES the freedom he learned from us letting him run around undressed for a few days.
  • I was really nervous taking him OUT for the first time to playgroug, church, and especially Bible study - where another adult is watching Marc and other kids while he plays with friends, watches movies - but after several weeks, he has never had an accident there.
  • In the past few weeks has learned to get out of bed during naptime to go potty - so I think since we started on August 21st, he has only had one accident during naptime.  
  • We are still working on dry nights - but are SO glad to say that we are back down to only one child in diapers.  

Aug 24 - Our first "outing" with Marc in big boy underwear! 
 On September 1st - after several days without any accidents and many successful outings, we donned him "officially" potty trained.  For a celebratory reward, we gave Marc new Pororo shoes that light up and match his favorite new Pororo shirt. :) He is so proud!
What a big boy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of your big boy!!! He did so well and so did mom! Way to Go Marc!!