Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The January Letter

I didn't write a Christmas letter - and then intended to write a New Year's one... but that also didn't happen.  I would (and planned to) forgo it all together - but I realized that there is at least on piece of news that we haven't officially shared - and word of mouth hasn't worked as well as we thought it would.
BUT before I get to that... a bit of reflection on 2012 only seems appropriate.

As we look back over the year - I see that there is so much we are blessed with - especially the birth of our daughter, Emmalyn.   Jarrod and I completed our 5th year of marriage and went on more dates this year than any of the previous ones - which will be exceeded this year. ;)   We grew into a family of four - and while the year brought many changes in both of our kids and we have been delighted to take this journey with them.
Marc has grown quite a bit taller, improved his speaking ability immensely, and started imaginative play.  He has a strong desire to please, a knack for making messes, and loves when we all play together.  He has been potty trained, moved from a crib to a toddler bed, and has really started to enjoy "friends".
Marc loves being a big brother and having a built-in playmate.. as long as she doesn't take the toy he wants to play with.  He has been learning to share and negotiate (if he wants a toy that Emmalyn has, he will go find another toy to tempt her to swap), and kisses his sister every night before bed.

Emmalyn has grown from a newborn baby into a curious, mischievous, social, smiley girl that loves to dance to music, "talk", laugh with the group, follow her brother around, and climb on or into anything she can get to.
Stephanie (I) have continued to be a full-time mother - which is such a privilege and blessing (although sometimes I need to remind myself that it is).  I have a wonderful community of mothers and women to "spur one another on towards love and good deeds" (Heb 10:24) in Bible studies, play dates, phone calls, and sweet friendships.  I maintain my "resident Nurse" status with the community - as I get phone calls, text photos, and requests for home (or hospital) visits with medical questions and concerns.  I continue to be involved in leadership with the Seoul International Playgroup - as an outreach and ministry to mothers and care-givers in Seoul.   And Marc, Emmalyn and I all thoroughly enjoy when we get up to YISS to interact with the students and staff there.

Jarrod: this year he completed his first year teaching in the High School Theology department and then moved into the High School Substitute position while beginning his seminary courses at Liberty University.  As he pursues a Masters in Global Studies, he has found just how conducive his current job position is to balancing work, studying, and time with the family.  Being a teacher is not an easy job while school is in session.  Not only is it demanding during the day, but the take home work- planning and grading- is never-ending.  The substitute position has been perfect for Jarrod for this season- as it capitalizes on some of his strengths as a teacher (classroom interaction, organization, ability to take any material and explain it well) while eliminating the take-home work.  Without the burden of grades and planning, he has been able to focus more on ministry with the students, as well.  His seminary courses took a bit of getting used to - but he works hard and is a great student, managing to end his first semester with excellent grades. The best part about it: Marc and Emmalyn didn't even know Daddy was taking classes since he was able to work on it at night after they went to bed, and -sometimes- even when he was at work.  

So the official announcement:  We have decided to stay in Seoul for another year.  This allows Jarrod to continue to work full-time at YISS while completing his seminary degree.  It keeps us from an expensive move for a transitional year (who knows where we will move after he completes the degree next year), unknown employment status for us both, the possibility of requiring childcare for the kids, etc.  This was an unexpected decision - we returned to Seoul from our summer in the States clearly expressing that this would be our last year here.  However, the Lord moved in both of our hearts around the same time to see that this is a good place to be, there is a lot of good going on here that we can be a part of, and this would be a good decision over all for our family.

This decision is huge - especially to me since I have never lived in one house - in one place - for 5 years.   Moving to Korea in 2009, I never would have expected us to stay this long.. but we trust that the Lord does help us decide what is best for our family as we seek Him first, and know that we will be ready to move when the time comes.

"In his heart, a man plans his course,
But the Lord determines his steps"
Proverbs 16:9

No comments: