Two days ago, on Monday, my contractions started again while I was cooking dinner (sitting down!) and they were so intense I had my family eat and I went to lay down (after taking more of the oral anti-contraction meds). Several hours later they were still intense and coming every 2-3 minutes, so I reluctantly made the decision to go to the hospital. BUT, stubbornly, I told Jarrod I wasn't bringing a bag because I just wanted the contractions to stop and then I could go back home.
At Hosan Women's Hospital, the night staff was fine with me being in labor until I told them that the baby is breech, they confirmed with an ultrasound (like I don't know what I'm talking about! ;) and then they made me NPO for the possibility of a c-section that night... wait, WHAT?
Thankfully, we got a call on our cell phone (really!?) from my OB dr, who was at home, to talk about the plan - and she ordered the staff to start me on IV meds that would stop the contractions (Hooray!). It took several hours but the contractions finally stopped (Jarrod went home to be with our kids) and we were going to see the Dr in morning rounds. My Dr was thinking that we are not going to deliver the baby any time soon... but I didn't know that.. and the staff didn't know that.. so this poor hungry Momma continued NPO until much later the next morning. I mean, I asked for a (little!) drink of water, and the nurse let me put some in my mouth but made me spit it out! (I know, Dad... the world's smallest violin is playing just for me...)
On Tuesday, they tried to wean me off the IV and switch back to oral meds, but the contractions came back frequent and intense, so I had to restart the IV drip. Dr. Kim wants to wait until Monday (I am 37 weeks on Sunday) to have a C-section if the baby is still breech, so the plan WAS to try to wean me off the IV each day and see if my uterus was stable enough to let me go home. BUT then, later that night, my IV occluded and I wasn't getting the meds I needed and the contractions came back so strong (like 80 on a scale of 1-100) and frequent that Dr Kim decided that I am not going to be weaned (all these contractions aren't good for my body - and dilation!) and I need to stay at the hospital on the IV drip until Monday, when we will do.. something (a c-section, external version, or both..).
OR. The baby could turn naturally -- every time the baby wiggles I get into a yoga position to help it turn... I feel a little silly but it worth it! Because, if the baby turns, then I could just be in labor. AND have this baby. Turn, baby, turn!!!
Today, Wednesday, has been uneventful (for me!) - the IV meds are working and I have been contraction-free and pain-free. There are so many things that we have to be thankful for: faithful friends that have stepped up to watch Marc and Emmalyn, clean my house, and provide meals for my family; my mom was able to change her plane ticket so that she will arrive on Sunday night - just in time for Monday's action - and will be able to stay the rest of the month; and even unexpected small things like the owner of the hospital giving us a discounted rate for my hospital room (I have one of the largest rooms -actually the same post-partum room that I was in for Marc AND Emmalyn- but am being charged for the smallest room.. a significant difference!). We have felt love and support around the world as people are offering up prayers on our behalf and encouraging words. And for those of you who are wondering (probably no one), Jarrod has been able to bring the stuff to the hospital that I need to fill the hospital bag that I didn't bring with us on Monday night.
| Just hanging out with me at the hospital! I'm so glad to have such special visitors! |
Thank-you for joining with us in prayer! I will definitely update the blog if anything exciting happens.
3 comments:
The pregnancy pictures are so cute. Wish we could see you in person. And be there to help with the kiddos. Take care we are thinking of you. Teresa
Hope they brought you some ice cream! Haha! Love you and miss you even more in times like this! And agree with Teresa! ;)
Thanks for the update. I was just thinking about you this morning and ending how your pregnancy was going. I will be praying all works out smoothly and for the best for your sweet family. Praying for Jarrod in this time as well. Love you guys bunches.
Post a Comment