Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Covenant College Experience

Jarrod and I left Cumberland Island and drove to the opposite corner of Georgia - to Lookout Mountain. On the top of this mountain is Covenant College, where Jarrod spent 2 developmental years of his life and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree. As this place was such a special place in Jarrod's life, he wanted to show me around his school and share a bit of the experience with me. We had a good time walking through campus - seeing Jarrod's dorm room, classrooms, and chapel. I couldn't help but think back to my own college experience at William & Mary, and really was surprised at all the differences in the way the college worked, and in what we experienced just by going to a Christian vs. State school. I was blown away by the incredible view from the mountain and touched by the Christian training and mentors that are found at this college. I am thankful that Jarrod had the opportunity to attend here, to learn and grow in this environment, and to make quality friends as well. In addition to our tour of the college, Jarrod also took me down the mountain to Chattanooga, TN, to the local college kids' haunts such as Mr. T's, Clumpy's, and Sticky Fingers. Jarrod even romanced his wife a bit with a carriage ride through downtown Chattanooga. :)Sunday morning we went to Jarrod's church - and enjoyed seeing some of his good friends from college in the service.
It was such a fun trip - and I'm so glad that I was able to walk a bit in Jarrod's shoes and understand more about this time in his life. "There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven... a time to plant and a time to uproot... " knowing that in all things, Christ preeminent.

No comments: