Monday, October 22, 2012

SeaLaLa

This weekend was our last hurrah before Jarrod starts graduate school and all the busyness that comes with it.  We wanted to go on a "Seminary-moon" - so to speak... and after discussing our options - decided on spending Saturday at SeaLaLa indoor waterpark and spa.

When we arrived, we paid our money - and were given keys to lockers.  Before we could step in, we had to take off our shoes.  We found the Mens and Womens lockers --- that were JUST for our shoes... and then parted ways - Jarrod and Marc into the Mens dressing room and Emma and I into the women's.. knowing we would eventually come out to the waterpark.

This place was intense!  We knew we were going to an indoor water park (more like fun pool with lots and lots of jets, a few slides and a lazy river) - which was fantastic - but found that it also had a Zzimzilbang and Sauna.  Awesome, right?

Ok, if you are like me you have no idea what a Zzimzilbang is.  Let me enlighten you. The Zzimzilbang was a room above the waterpark that had the whole park in view, has various Korean Sauna rooms, mud room, play room (for kids), PC room (computers), DVD/book rental for time to relax, lots of massager chairs, and various food stands.  The Sauna portion of the resort had theme sauna rooms, bathe, and "hot half-baths to wipe away your exhaustion and stress"... of course the Sauna section is strictly gender regulated... due to the bathes.

Honestly - we only stayed at the the water park.  I know, I know, perhaps we could have gotten more out of the experience - but I am American and well - the idea of a "public bath house" is a little much... and so when I left Jarrod and took Emma back into the dressing rooms - which is linked to the Sauna - and lots of unashamedly unclothed bodies - I passed through it as quickly as possible - not even stopping to take off my clothes.  (Next time I will stop and put them in my designated locker.. it would save on wrinkles and wet clothes!) So I only know about the fullness of the Sauna and Zzimzilbang from Jarrod's exploration and the brochure I have sitting next to me.  Maybe next time I will be more prepared, and more adventurous.

So - on to the water park!... Almost.  First, a note about swimming in Korea.  Apparently, swim caps are not optional - you cannot go in the pool without them.  I learned this tip years ago when we first moved here - but since we have not gone swimming anywhere except the YISS swimming pool (where we wear swim caps) I didn't think much about it here.  I think/assume that this is for sanitary reasons - so that the hair doesn't clog filters and drains.

As we were unaware of this requirement upon entering the pool - we were called out of the water by a lifeguard to put on our hats.  Unfortunately, we did not bring swim caps or hats (apparently baseball hats acceptably fulfill the hat requirement) with us - and felt a little bit disgruntled by the rule (especially since they were requiring our 9 month old baby to wear one, too!).  Thankfully, they sell both hats and swim caps in their "rental shop" (where everything is for sale, not for rent) - and after it was settled - we proceeded to have a marvelous time -- impressed that even Emmalyn kept her cap on.  After 4 years of living in Seoul and feeling like we were "culturally competent" in this country, we were reminded that this is still a foreign country - and how easy it is to wrongly impose our own cultural expectations onto this place.  A definite growing experience.
Near the end of the day at the park, I found this sign -- the Korean not pictured -- that was translated into English perhaps for people like us.  It is a bit amusing to read -- the insistence that all individuals must stretch before entering the pool (hence the gender specific stretching room I found).. and to refrain from swimming more than 30 minutes at a time for personal health reasons.  And #7 maintains that swim caps must be worn - which goes along with refraining from spitting and urinating in the pools- for sanitary purposes.   Interesting though that #3 was not enforced at all -- that you must wear life vests under the age of 13.  Hmmm...

There were other signs that were worth noting...  I am not sure how much was "lost in translation" but the sign to the left is a notice for how to prevent Eye Disease at the waterpark.  The instructions are as follows:

1. Do not swim until eyes get tired because the probability to be infected by eye disease become very high.
2. Enjoy swimming with a proper rest.
3. Do not swim for more than 30 minutes. To recover body strength, take a one hour rest every one hour.

This explains why they have a room for napping (and renting movies), a bunch of massager chairs, a separate women's and men's area for stretching, and of course saunas for relaxing. To prevent eye disease.  See #6 on the swimming pool observance guidelines.

Once we got all the rules settled - or at least the hat rule - we all had a great time and played hard! 
There was a mandatory break from the main pool areas the last 15 minutes of every hour - but you could go sit in the small pools or play at the kids area during that time.  It didn't keep us down!
 Emmalyn took a nap after lunch which allowed Marc to get in her floaty (he was so happy!). 
All four of us joined in the fun - Jarrod and I even taking turns going down the big slides with the kids cheering us on. (Jarrod did have his hat on - you can see a white head in the second picture.. I think it must have come off in the splash! opps! :)
What a treat to go to a place like this where we could all have fun together!
I foresee future adventures to this waterpark in the cold winter months - especially since we now all have the appropriate swim caps and know what to do! (Right, Jarrod?! ;)  Who knows - maybe we will get wild and even try out the massage chairs next time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For all the rules and headache, it looks as though you had a great time! I would also stay "Western" and not try the hot house... but maybe the play area and massage chairs... might be very relaxing! Glad you were able to have this great time before Jarrod started school again. Will continue to pray!